Architect’s Chair #3

20180905_215445

Ok, so where were we? Oh yes, a hoofing great cock-up. With the original hub basically a write off, I went ahead and started on another one. I went with just walnut this time, two pieces glued together. The laminated walnut and cherry of the original didn’t really fit in with the feel of the piece (at least that is what I am telling myself). Continue reading “Architect’s Chair #3”

Architect’s Chair #2

20180901_150815

Marking out for the hub dovetails had me feeling a bit anxious. I wanted to get these joints just right, so each stroke of the saw, and each chop with the chisel was very carefully thought out, so as to avoid any mistakes. As things fell out, I needn’t have worried. The process went very well, and the joints fitted practically perfectly…

…not to worry though, I still managed to bollocks things up in end. Continue reading “Architect’s Chair #2”

Happy New Year

20180320_212715

Late last year, I posted about a leather working box I was quite pleased with, and remarked that “I must try to post more often in future. I feel a New Year’s Resolution coming on…”

Well, that worked out well, didn’t it?

Continue reading “Happy New Year”

I’ve been busy

logo

I haven’t posted for a while so I thought I’d put finger to keyboard to show some of what I’ve been up to these last few weeks.

Last year I started a job as a part-time upholsterer, and I wanted to put my stamp on my working area, in the form of a few tools and toolboxes. Also, I have recently design myself a new logo, and I was desperate to showcase it on something.

So, in between work and family life, I’ve put in a few hours in the workshop recently, in order to address both these issues. This is what I came up with. Continue reading “I’ve been busy”

First project of the year.

20161229_135907

Nearly a year ago, not long after I had my lathe set up, I was looking around for a turning project, and I stumbled across some plans for a candlestick telephone. At the time, the project was far beyond my capabilities, so I only got as far as picking out the timber before shelving the idea until I had more practice under my belt. Continue reading “First project of the year.”

Tool Tote #1: The tool box

20161112_162034

Following on from the last project, yet another commission came my way from the self-same chap who commissioned the Biltong Slicer, the Treasure Chest, and the Jewelry Box. This time it was a gift for his son and my remit was virtually non-existent – carte blanche you might say. In the end I settled upon a tool tote, because I know that the lad enjoys dirt bike racing, and would need a stout receptacle in which to store spanners and sockets and pliers and such. Continue reading “Tool Tote #1: The tool box”

Jewelry Box #3: Finishing touches

20161028_212342

To finish things up with the jewelry box, I fitted the hinges and put my maker’s mark on the base so that I could apply the finish to the outside of the box. Continue reading “Jewelry Box #3: Finishing touches”

Workbench #9: Le Bébé Roubo

img_20160921_180803

It’s time to sign off on another project at Goatboy’s Woodshop – I declare the workbench finished!

This, the final post in this series, will be a bit picture heavy because there’s not really much else to say. Continue reading “Workbench #9: Le Bébé Roubo”

Workbench #7: Leg vice

20160814_121338

We’re cooking on gas now! The final component for the bench was the leg vice, and in an earlier post I showed how I had cut the threads for the screw and nut so that I could install the nut in the leg. Well, as well as a screw, the vice needed a chop and a hub… Continue reading “Workbench #7: Leg vice”

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: